I never had an opinion on the nature vs. nurture debate until I had a boy of my own. Now I have no doubt that boys are just plain different than girls and that is a good thing (it explains a lot). It’s hard for me to get photos of Ben that look like “Ben”. Maybe it’s because he is always so active… or hamming it up for the camera. I got a few this weekend though so I thought I’d post a Ben list… just because.
- You started kindergarten this year. There were no tears (except from Mom) although you do keep asking me when camp will be over.
- You recently stopped putting your underwear on backwards. Is it weird that this makes me sad?
- You want to be lots of things when you grow up, but my favorite is when you told me you were going to grow up to be a builder and you would build a house for me with a tunnel to yours. Your wife may have something to say about that.
- You went through a Michael Jackson phase and several times you would make us save a spot for him at the dinner table… “You can’t sit there Mom; that is Michael Jackson’s seat.” Now you really like Justin Beiber. I know this will embarrass you later, but it’s true.
- Biased or not, you have the cutest and most infectious laugh I have ever heard.
- You are not much of a “cuddler”, but you love it when I “tickle” your neck or arm. You get this from me (ask your Dad) who got it from Ya-Ya.
- Daddy thinks you will grow up to look like Jason Stackhouse. I can kind of see it in the last photo. I hope you will make better girlfriend choices.
- Dad is coaching you in your fourth season of soccer. You are pretty competitive (you got this from Dad) and you love it. Go Fantastic Fours!
- You are surprisingly neat (compared to your sisters at least) and lately a bit of a germaphobe. You are obsessed with brushing your teeth correctly (to the point of tears sometimes–”I don’t want pirate teeth!”) and you hate it when someone coughs or sneezes on you. This, however, does not stop you do from doing really gross stuff… “Mom, is it okay if I licked the banister at school?” Ummm… ya, no.
- You crack me up with your “I love you more than ______.” Like the time you announced, “I love you more than one robot.” Or the other time when you blurted out “I love you more than guns.”
Ben-Ben, I love you more than all the photographs that have ever been taken and all the “I love yous” that have ever been proclaimed.